Shaping Our Future is the overarching integrated strategy for the SHOROC region – encompassing Manly, Mosman, Warringah and Pittwater councils.
It has been developed by the four SHOROC councils to take the lead on the future of our region – an area of natural beauty where liveability and sustainability are highly valued by residents and visitors alike.
Shaping Our Future outlines the infrastructure and policy priorities so that councils can lobby with a united voice for investment, as well as bringing together projects that are more effectively or efficiently delivered in partnership by the councils. It responds to the NSW State Plan and Metropolitan Plan and outlines how the SHOROC councils will work together with other levels of government, business and the community to address critical challenges for the region, now and into the future.
A three-part approach for a vibrant sustainable region
||Shaping Our Future- Directions for transport, health, housing and jobs for a vibrant sustainable SHOROC region (2010), outlines the major infrastructure priorities for the region including the need for investment in transport and health services.|
|Shaping Our Sustainable Future - An action plan for creating a more sustainable SHOROC region together (2011), outlines where the councils will work together on transport, energy, climate change, ecologically sustainable development, waste, water, biodiversity and skills and capacity building to create a more sustainable future.|
||Shaping Our Future Way of Life – An action plan for creating vibrant communities and economies together (to be developed), will address matters that contribute to liveability such as quality of life, healthy lifestyles, housing choice, health services, employment options and recreation.|
Our framework for regional planning and action
To enable more strategic integrated planning and action, five ‘domains’ have been agreed as the overarching priorities for the region under the SHOROC partnership. These ‘domains’ are the drivers for Shaping Our Future and are also what the councils are seeking to influence by working together:
- Health and wellbeing: A connected community living safely with healthy lifestyles and equitable access to high quality health, community and recreational facilities and services.
- Natural environment: A diverse, beautiful natural environment of bush, waterways, beaches and parks which enables healthy ecosystems, biodiversity and enjoyment and protection by our community.
- Built environment: Housing, infrastructure and services that provide for vibrant sustainable and connected communities; a balance between our way of life and sustainably managing our natural resources and environment.
- Jobs and economic development: Strong, diverse business and industry that provides a range of jobs close to home.
- Leadership: Effective local leadership with community participation in, and access to decision-making.
The diagram below shows how these five domains are the drivers for the three elements of the regional Shaping Our Future strategy.
A set of regional indicators, or KPIs, has been developed to set priorities and track progress.
Find out more on Shaping Our Future
The SHOROC region needs better public transport, roads and health services now and for the future. The Shaping Our Future “major Infrastructure” strategy outlines the priorities for investment….
The Action Plan uutlining where the councils will work together on transport, energy, climate change, ecologically sustainable development, waste, water, biodiversity and skills and capacity building to create a more sustainable future….
A set of ‘Health of the Region’ indicators has been agreed for use by the councils and SHOROC that bring together key indicators on each of the overarching domains for the region….