The SHOROC Mayors of Manly, Mosman, Pittwater and Warringah councils have welcomed the NSW Government’s announcement that it is planning major road infrastructure upgrades around the site of the soon-to-be-constructed Northern Beaches Hospital.
SHOROC President and Pittwater Mayor, Cr Jacqueline Townsend says the works being planned for the hospital precinct including for Warringah Road, Wakehurst Parkway, Forest Way and Frenchs Forest Road are vital for the future of the region.
“This is wonderful news. Congratulations to our local MPs in recognising the importance of delivering this road infrastructure for our community,” said Cr Townsend.
In 2013 the NSW Government announced the plans to construct a ‘world-class hospital on Sydney’s Northern Beaches’.
Now the much needed major road works required to address the congestion on Warringah Road and Wakehurst Parkway, plus to enable efficient access to the hospital, are being planned.
“We are working closely with the NSW Government on these major infrastructure projects and these plans demonstrate the benefits that a regional collaborative approach between councils and the state government can bring.”
The road works being planned are major regional infrastructure priorities identified in SHOROC’s regional strategy Shaping Our Future. Priorities identified in the strategy for the east-west Warringah Road corridor are:
- grade separation at the intersections of Warringah Road with Wakehurst Parkway and Forest Way, together with upgrades to Wakehurst Parkway to provide flood-free access
- Fast public transport links from Dee Why to Chatswood together with park and rides to maximise patronage of public transport.
“We look forward to working with the NSW Government to deliver the road and public transport upgrades this precinct and the whole region needs,” said Mayor Townsend.
Click on the map below from the Staged Infrastructure Application report which outlines the project area and key features.
For more information:
- Roads and Maritime website for more on the proposals
- Planning & Infrastructure for maps and details on the concepts being considered and to have your say
- SHOROC’s proposed transport solutions
- Northern Beaches Health Service Redevelopment website