SHOROC President and Mosman Mayor, Cr Peter Abelson congratulates the Premier and all local NSW MPs on their election on behalf of SHOROC and its partner councils – Manly, Mosman, Pittwater and Warringah.
“The election of The Hon Mike Baird MP as NSW Premier together with The Hon Jillian Skinner MP, The Hon Brad Hazzard MP, The Hon Rob Stokes MP and Mr Jonathan O’Dea MP is positive news for the Northern Beaches, North Shore and NSW.
“The partnership between these great local NSW MPs and SHOROC has delivered outstanding results for our region and we look forward to continuing delivery of the big priorities over the coming years,” Cr Abelson said.
Major priorities for the region include:
- Public transport and roads:
- implementing the $633M Northern Beaches Transport Action Plan including the planned Bus Rapid Transit system and Warringah Road upgrades
- fast-tracking Dee Why to Chatswood Bus Rapid Transit
- Completing planning and committing funds for the Northern Beaches Tunnel
- Mona Vale Road upgrades and Wakehurst Parkway flood mitigation works
- Hospitals and health services: Opening the Northern Beaches Hospital by mid-2018, retaining Mona Vale Hospital, and keeping the Manly Hospital site for community services
- Local employment and containment: supporting local jobs through regional economic development including tourism and events
- Funding for regional environmental and recreational infrastructure
- Stronger state and local partnerships for planning and services
Cr Abelson says that as the Member for Manly, the NSW Premier has worked closely with SHOROC together with the other local MPs and been a great advocate to ensure the region’s transport and health infrastructure needs are addressed.
“SHOROC has been working in partnership with both state and federal MPs to realise major infrastructure funding for this region including significant public transport and road upgrades and of course the Northern Beaches Hospital.
“We look forward to working closely with the Premier and local MPs to deliver the Bus Rapid Transit system on Pittwater and Warringah Roads, the big road upgrades, the improved hospital system and hopefully finalising funding for the much-needed Northern Beaches Link tunnel,” Cr Abelson said.