The NSW Government has a significant focus on regions – aiming for better integration of state and local plans. As a result, the NSW 2021 Northern Beaches Regional Action Plan was developed to include all SHOROC councils – Manly, Mosman, Pittwater and Warringah following representations from SHOROC and our local NSW MPs.
SHOROC and our partner councils are currently working closely with the NSW Government on a range of initiatives under the Northern Beaches Regional Action Plan including transport, health, ageing, youth and economic development.
The Plan identifies the immediate actions the NSW Government will prioritise over the next few years.
Those projects highlighted in BLUE are being delivered in partnership with the SHOROC councils.
Regional priorities and actions
- Plan for and construct the Northern Beaches Hospital at Frenchs Forest
- Address traffic and transport around the new hospital
- Maintain Manly Hospital while new hospital is being built and upgrade Mona Vale Hospital as a complementary service
- Develop the NSW long term transport master plan
- Investigate Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) for the Northern Beaches
- Assist Warringah Council on a transport study for Brookvale/Dee Why to accommodate job growth and road congestion
3. Encourage the development of more affordable housing options and improve local amenity
- Improve land supply for housing – Ingleside Release Area and Warriewood Valley Strategic Review
- Provide more affordable housing and seniors housing in the region
- Improve local infrastructure and recreational opportunities
4. Improve support services for young people and the ageing
- Improve health and community services for young people
- Develop an Northern Beaches Regional Youth Strategy
- Develop a Northern Beaches Ageing Strategy
- Improved planning and coordination of services working with families and children
- Take local action to prevent crime
5. Protect the natural environment
- Develop and implement coastal zone and floodplain risk management plans
- Threatened species recovery programs, actions and conservation agreements
- Northern Beaches waste avoidance and resource recovery
- Improve walking trails around Sydney Harbour
- Respond to climate risk and variability
- Improve water storage and wastewater services
6. Boost the local economy
- Small business support
- Plans to support key industry sectors within the region
- Build awareness of the Northern Beaches as a tourist and event destination
The SHOROC member councils will continue to work with local, state and federal agencies to ensure the needs of Northern Beaches and Mosman are heard and services delivered. We will continue to work across our region and form partnerships and alliances to achieve social, environmental and economic benefits for our community.